Conservative Councillor for Boothstown and Ellenbrook Jillian Collinson said: “Boothstown, Worsley and Ellenbrook are without doubt the most affluent areas in Salford. This doesn’t mean that we have our own problems though, because we do.
“Sometimes the council leave us out and think that we have the money to sort these problems out ourselves.
“We as the Conservative Party believe that people should help themselves and not rely on the state or the council.”
Thousands of elderly and poorly people will be asked to pay for a ‘lifeline’ alarm button service as part of swingeing cuts by Salford council.
The move by the council, to charge 2,600 people for the 24-hour Care on Call warden alarm response service, has been slammed as ‘disgusting.’
The new town hall charges, for people who live in private housing, will save the council £586,000 a year as part of £2.6m savings from its adult social services budget.
Council chiefs will charge £4.82 per week for a button or pendant in the home connected to a control centre which can alert emergency services or call for a doctor or family member.
Adding a weekly visit by a warden costs £7.66 – just over £398 a year.
The charges, for people who live in private housing, will save the council £586,000 a year as part of £2.6m savings from adult social services.
The service, used by 4,500 people, will still be free to residents in sheltered housing.
Eighty-year-old grandmother Nellie Scally, from Hope, returned her alarm to the council before the charges are introduced from Monday September 8
She said: “It was there in case I had an accident. But I am not paying for it.
“I think it is disgusting. My son checks on me but it is a lifeline to many pensioners who have nobody to check on them.”
Life before Rugby Mr Mayor i can state what UKIPS ANSWER IS.
Can you help with time,help to run a stall for us,car boot or even a small donation any thing could be used to help us fight Labour,times are hard but if you want change we need help to achieve it.
Salford council leadership in crisis?
A riven party, a brand new chief executive and no head of communications: Mayor Ian Stewart is facing the biggest test of his tenure at the worst possible time
The circumstances surrounding the departure of Salford council’s last monitoring officer Martin Vickers have been the subject of frenzied rumour in the town hall’s corridors – and those further afield – for over a year now.
Yesterday at least some of those questions were answered.
They look likely to trigger the biggest crisis of the mayor’s tenure.
- As the man in charge of leading the council’s negotiations with struggling rugby club Salford Reds, Mr Vickers – in conjunction with just the mayor and his deputy – agreed in July 2013 to give the Reds a £164,000 bail-out.
– No record was kept of the decision and the then-chief executive says she had no knowledge of the deal at the time.
- As monitoring officer the man in charge of keeping that record – and ensuring it went to councillors for scrutiny – was Martin Vickers.
- Just over two weeks later, he applied for voluntary severance.
- Three days after that his £79,000 pay-off was in his bank account after being ‘verbally approved’ by the mayor.
- By September he was working as a consultant to Salford Reds; by December he was their chief executive.
Whether there is any real fall-out for Mr Vickers remains to be seen.
But for the mayor, this is likely to only be the beginning.
It is not just a crisis, but one that has hit the council at the most unfortunate of times. New chief executive Jim Taylor has only just taken the helm, fresh from last year’s pay row while still in charge at Rochdale.
Meanwhile there is no head of communications at the council after spin doctor Matthew Finnegan jumped ship last month.
(A fact only underlined by the fact that while the audit report that led to all this was posted online yesterday afternoon, the council only released its statement on the matter 24 hours later.)
Meanwhile pre-existing rumblings within the Labour group now threaten to get deafening. The ruling party was already split ‘all over the place’ according to one insider. But now the factions are only growing deeper.
Still, despite all that, Mr Stewart can take cold comfort in one thing.
Even if his own party want to kick him out, they will struggle – since the directly elected mayor model is set up to make that as difficult as possible.
Even if the party went through with a vote of no confidence, the mayor could sit as an independent.
Even if his cabinet quit, he could get a load of other people in instead.
As disquiet grows among party ranks, Labour figures elsewhere in the conurbation – currently weighing up the merits of getting a Greater Manchester elected mayor – will no doubt be following the situation closely.
SALFORD COUNCIL £130,000 FRAUD STING
Star date: 3rd July 2012
A Salford Star Exclusive
SALFORD COUNCIL TAKEN FOR £130,000 – “WE WERE FOOLED” SAYS ASSISTANT MAYOR
Salford Council has been defrauded of what the Salford Star believes to be around £130,000. Councillor Bill Hinds, Assistant Mayor for Finance at Salford City Council, told the Star that the Council was “absolutely devastated…We are also reviewing our processes to see what can be done to make sure this doesn’t happen to us again.”
The City of London Police is currently investigating the sting…
Salford City Council has been stung for an amount that the Salford Star believes to be around £130,000. The Council and the Police are keeping the actual details of the fraud under wraps but we understand that the Council paid the cash to organised criminals who had managed to convince staff in its finance department to change the bank details on legitimate invoices.
Councillor Bill Hinds, Assistant Mayor for Finance at Salford City Council, told the Salford Star: “We are absolutely devastated that we have fallen victim to this organised crime group’s scam. We understand that this has been running across the country targeting a wide range of organisations.
“These individuals are extremely convincing at what they do and unfortunately we were fooled by them” he added “What these people need to realise is that they are not stealing from a faceless organisation, this is money that is used to help and support the most vulnerable and needy in society
“We have reported this matter to the police and are helping their investigation in any way we can to try to prevent other organisations falling victim to this cruel scam. We are also reviewing our processes to see what can be done to make sure this doesn’t happen to us again.”
The National Fraud Intelligence Bureau, which operates through the City of London Police, is currently investigating the sting but wouldn’t comment as the case is still ongoing…